Sunday, March 16, 2008

Powerpoint in the classroom

I like powerpoint because it's a simple, quasi-semi animation program. One of the ways I look forward to being able to use it in my classroom is as a gameshow. Everyone likes to win games. This could help motivate students to learn the material. It could easily make the students want to learn even more.
The 2nd way I would like to use powerpoint is similar to what we did in class the first day of the semester. When I was younger the first day of school always meant seeing some old faces, meeting some new ones, and talking about our summer. With powerpoint I would like to with a digital camera take a picture of every student and make "flashcards," the way we did in class, but include their favorite color, animal, and a memorable event from the summer. I would do this in class to introduce everyone to each other and help make everyone feel welcome to the new school year. When the students return the next day I would have a seating arrangement made according to favorite colors and have the slides printed up and laminated and hung up in the classroom. I would do this mainly to deter from calling each other "hey you" and emphasize learning and using names.

No comments: